If you’re planning to marry a Bangladeshi girl then you should know how much they are compatible with you! Our country is known to be a country of etiquette. As a Muslim country, our women are raised up in norms and good restrictions. Bangladeshi brides are kind, caring, and tend to love their husbands. They are taught to respect their husband and be obedient to what their husband says. People tend to marry from here because of these reasons. It’s been happening that boys from the USA, Canada, Australia, and almost all over the world are tying their knot with Bangladeshi girls. If you are a Bengali American then you’re making the right decision to marry a Bangladeshi girl.

So, if you’re a USA citizen and planning to marry someone from BD then there are some legal processes that you have to go through. The whole procedure might present complications but once you get the whole idea, it’ll be less hassle for you in the future.

Many couples Bangladeshi and Foreigner or Foreigners in Bangladesh do not get their marriage registered and prefer to get the marriage solemnized before the Notary Public or Magistrate Court. Please note that a registered Marriage Certificate is a very important piece of document that proves that a couple is legally married. If you are Bangladeshi and/or Foreigner resides in Bangladesh and would like to register your marriage, you can register your marriage under The Special Marriage Act, 1872 to prove that you are legally married to someone for obtaining a passport, applying and interviewing for the visa, changing your maiden name, etc.

According to The Special Marriage Act, 1872 bridegroom must have completed his age of 21 and bride her age of 18. When a marriage is intended to be solemnized under this Act, one of the parties (Either bridegroom or bride) must give notice in writing as per the first schedule of this act to the Registrar before 14 days of registration of marriage. The marriage shall be solemnized in the presence of the Registrar and of the three witnesses who sign the Declaration and Marriage Certificate.

A legally registered marriage certificate is vital proof of marriage between the two people. So it’s an important fact to get your marriage through the legal process. If a USA boy wants to marry a Bangladeshi girl the process get some requirements.

As you’re a foreigner and you are willing to marry a Bangladeshi bride then you can register your marriage under the Special Marriage Act.

The documents required for registration are as under:

Application form / Notice duly filled and signed by the bride and the groom.

•   Documentary evidence of the date of birth of both parties (Matriculation Certificate/ Passport/ Birth Certificate).

•   Documentary evidence regarding stay in the USA of one of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO, Police Station).

•   Separate affidavits from bride and groom giving:

*Date of birth,

*Present marital status: unmarried/widower/ divorcee,

*Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the degree of prohibited relationship defined in the Special Marriage Act, Citizenship, and Parties intent to marry with each other.

•   Passport size photographs of both parties (3 copies each) duly attested by a Gazette Officer.

•   Copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.

•   In the case of a foreign national, a no-objection certificate from the concerned Embassy regarding his / her present status.

•   Some countries insist on proof of proceeding of civil marriage & marriageability certificate of the other country. So the groom from the USA must have to show the certificate before granting a visa to a foreign national to visit/stay in the USA for marriage.

•   And also foreign nationals who intend to stay in India for a long time after marriage should know before marriage about the grant of citizenship of India and about profession/tax liability.

How can you get a green card for your new spouse?

If you are married now to a Bangladeshi girl and planning to get her a U.S. green card then you have to go through some legal information.

Immigration Ability

If you’re married to someone from the USA then you must want to sponsor her to take her back to the USA. U.S. immigration law says marriage to a U.S. citizen provides the foreign-born person to get access to the USA. Though there are some confusions that they don’t get green cards immediately.

And your new spouse becomes your "immediate relative" and may receive a green card as soon as the two of you make it through the application process. This process can take several months.                                                                                                                                                                    

If both of are not married yet but engaged and your fiancé is living in Bangladesh then you can petition for her to access in the USA as your fiancé so that you can get married in the USA. You can apply for the petition only if you have a green card. After that, your spouse can apply for a green card. Also, if you decide to get married in Bangladesh then apply for an immigrant visa to get in the US which will be equivalent to a green card. Being a lawful resident ship gives your spouse to become ‘a preferable relative’ in category 2A. So you can apply for a green card after a visa number is available. Remember that annual limits on the number of visas (Category 2A) can make a year-long wait.

Obtaining a Green Card

The application process for a green card has multiple steps depending on marriage. Starting from form submission, attending an interview with U.S. immigration authorities. These procedures have some purpose to prove,

*Whether the status of the U.S. petitioner is as a citizen or permanent resident.

*To prove that the marriage is valid.

*To know that the marriage is bona fide.

*To check that the immigrant is not inadmissible to the U.S. for any kind of medical criminal, financial or other reasons.

There could be several more ways to apply as we are discussing here!

Procedures to apply for a K-1 Fiancé Visa

If you’re engaged then you can apply for a temporary visa (90 Days) by which your partner gets into the USA and hold the wedding. You can start this process by filing a petition on Form I-129F with U.S. citizenship and immigration (USCIS) services which is accompanied by various supporting documents. Then the USCIS approval will transfer the case to the National Visa Center (NVC) and that will send to the U.S. consulate in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Now your fiancé has to apply for a K-1 visa via the consulate. This includes submitting forms and documents and attending an interview with a consular official.

After your marriage in the U.S., your spouse will apply to USCIS for a green card via a process which is called adjustment of status. After that, both of you have to attend a green card interview which will be located at a local USCUS office.

Procedure for Immigrant Visa

If your spouse is living in Bangladesh then you have to apply for your green card application process by filing Form I-130 through USCIS. After it gets approval from USCIS and your spouse can move forward for visa processing from there. It may delay as she waits for a visa to become available in her category. After the payment of various fees and document submissions to the National Visa Center in New Hampshire, your spouse has to go through consular processing for an immigrant visa. Now that your spouse has to submit the paperwork to the U.S. consulate in Dhaka and attend an interview there as well. If your spouse gets approval she can enter the U.S. on an immigrant visa as soon as she becomes a lawful permanent resident. Then the actual green card will arrive after some weeks.

Here is to note that, you need to get a certificate that convinces U.S. immigration authorities to make sure your marriage was legally recognized in the country it was held.

This whole processes take some legal and lengthy process to get a green card. You have to be very careful at every step and especially on documentation. There might come some difficulties but still, you have to find out where it is taking the time. If your documents are solid and your processes will be good at terms. If you want to look for a good bride or bridegroom from Bangladesh then you can search for this matrimonial site Hubbline.com. This Bengali matrimony site is a trustworthy platform that can guide you to find your desired match. Join Now hubbline and let us know your experience of marriage in Share Your Story if you’re willing to say. Good Luck!